Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sentimental Sunday: Grandpa John Bartram at the County Fair

Today is the last day of the annual Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, California. Going to the fair has always been a family tradition for us. My sister and I used to bring our 4-H lambs to show and sell at the San Joaquin County Fair, and we loved going to the Alameda County Fair with our cousins when we were kids. My Grandpa John Bartram also enjoyed going to the fair each year, but not for the rides and games. He liked to bet on the ponies! I remember going to the fair with him as a kid, and he'd give us a bit of money for games and cotton candy while he'd head up to the horse racing stands. What I didn't realize is that he started that particular tradition with my mom when she was a kid!

Here's a photo of Grandpa John with our family friend, Bud. As Mom tells the story, Grandpa and Bud decided it was a good day to go to the races, and my mom and her cousin, Stan, also wanted to go for the rides and games. Grandpa gave them each a wad of money and sent them on their way. Then, he and Bud headed up to the races enjoy a few (or more) beers and try their luck with the horses. When they were done (we don't have any recollection of how much money they won or lost that day), they headed back down to the midway and decided to document the occasion with a photo booth picture:
Bud (left) and Grandpa John 
Even if they didn't win big that day, it looks like they had a lot of fun at the fair!!

My sister, Cindy, happened to be visiting us during the fair this year, so she, our cousin, Leslie, and I went to the Alameda County Fair with Cindy's boys and Leslie's husband and daughter. The young kids had a great time, and the three of us "old" kids couldn't resist squeezing into a photo booth. It was just like old times!
Cousin Leslie and sisters, Cindy and Wendy, clowning around at the fair!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! The photos are so great. We are hoping to hit the state fair in a week...I'm pretty excited for some fried food! ;)

    ReplyDelete